- Save The Date
- We'll design an invitation with finesse and style.
How To Get An A
This is what you need to do to ace this assignment.
- Implement a design with an informal grid.
- Create hierarchy in a simple, single-page layout.
- Make a reasoned font pairing which suits a given context.
- Use typography, layout and colour to create an audience-appropriate design.
- Implement learned type rules relating to italicization, quote marks, etc...
- Produce print-ready files.
- Organize files and folders for submission according to provided instructions.
|A, 80-100%, Excellent||This is work that has been completed in a highly motivated manner which meets all or most of the performance criteria for the project. It is an exceptional demonstration of design skills.|
|B, 70-79%, Superior||You have submitted work which is above average, but lacks the qualities which give it the stamp of excellence. It shows better than average design sensitivity.|
|C, 60-69% Satisfactory||Your project is handed in on time. It has fulfilled some or all of the requirements. It lacks strong visual interest and thoughtful & imaginative resolution. The work is merely average.|
|D, 50-59%, Marginal||This work is handed in on time, but lacks many or most of the areas that show understanding of design. It is a weak effort, which does not meet program standards.|
|F, 0-49%, Unsatisfactory||This is work that is not handed in on time or does not satisfy the assignment criteria at all.|
|NHI: Not Handed In||An assignment which was not received.|
BrightSpace Submission Links
The focus of this assignment is to capture the essence and the style of the occasion with type, colour and layout.
These invitations are produced in small numbers. It’s almost a craft project. Attention to detail and a novel approach are important. Use finesse, style and creativity.
You will design one of the following invitations:
- Anniversary Gala - Download the files
- This is an exclusive event at an Ottawa landmark. Its elegance and refinement will be unsurpassed. It will be attended by the who’s-who of Canada’s scientific community where these accomplished recipients will be honoured with the 2023 Whitford Prize.
- Champagne Brunch - Download the files
- The Springs Land Trust is a nature conservancy dedicated to wildlife habitats in and around Canada’s National Capital. Dress is semi-formal. Guests will be donors to the conservancy, who are also avid users of the Capital’s multi-use pathways for running, cycling, cross-country skiing, etc…
- Cocktail Party - Download the files
- This promises to be an intimate, private cocktail party in Ottawa’s Westboro neighbourhood. If you’re fortunate enough to be invited, you may rub elbows with famed authors and stars of Canada’s publishing community.
- Housewarming Party - Download the files
- Jeff & Candace are a naturally likeable couple. They always enjoy the journey ahead of the destination. They are the hub of their social circle who just moved into a converted loft apartment with lots of exposed brick and ultra-high ceilings. The Smiths vinyl will be spinning. Cocktails will be flowing.
- Wedding Invitation - Download the files
- Josephine & James will be joined in marriage at this traditional christian ceremony with a novel twist. The bride and groom will light a unity candle to symbolize their bond. It will be hosted by the bride’s family at the Companions of the Cross church.
This invitation will take the form of a card. It can be a simple single-sided or double-sided card. It can also have a fold.
The card will be delivered in an envelope, which you don’t need to worry about.
This should be a minimal type-based design that uses hierarchy, limited colour for emphasis, and a refined typographic treatment.
- Use Illustrator for your layout
- CMYK colour or 2 spot colours
- Dimensions no larger than 8.5" × 5.5"
- Accurate ⅛" bleeds
- Can be two-sided
- Can have a fold
- Either orientation, vertical or horizontal
- Can be die-cut
- No photography. No pixels.